Tuesday, July 14, 2009

That Wascally Wabbit

Remember when we found a rabbit in our house, and we let it go? If not, click HERE to read about it)

I'm starting to think that was a bad idea...not that there were any other options than to let it go, only that now I am dealing with the repercussions of having a wild rabbit near by.

I have a garden. It's small, but producing, and I am proud. I have been anxiously awaiting the ripening of my 3 (yes, only 3) tomatoes, and was ecstatic to see that one was turning red on Friday. I took a picture of it...here it is: Say it with me..."Awwwww!"


I went out on Sunday to check my little red jewel's progress...and to my shock, dismay and surprise, a rabbit had eaten 1/2. I did my best to save and relish what little was left, however the only part not tainted was still green. Alas...I must wait for my remaining 2 beauties to ripen.

As if losing my prize winning fruit wasn't enough, I checked my yummy watermelons yesterday (also due to harvest within a month) and another critter (or perhaps the same) had helped itself to one as well. Fortunately, I am not so upset about my melon because, unlike my fickle tomatoes, my watermelons are producing well. I have more growing on those vines than I'll probably be able to force down. This is what they look like so far: (They're the Sugar Baby watermelons, so "personal" sized)

As Elmo was leaving for work this morning, he swears he saw that same "Peter Cottontail" rabbit that we let go sneak under our fence and hop away.

We will be installing a 2nd fence tomorrow afternoon in good faith that it will keep out that Wascally Wabbit and his friends.

No comments: