Monday, July 27, 2009

Oh how I love my little cherubs

You know, I really don't know how I ever got to be so lucky in life. Really...I don't. Was I a Saint, or an angel or just really good in my former life? I'll never know. What I do know is that God has blessed me with a life right now that I wouldn't trade for a hundred gazillion dollars, or anyone elses life for that matter...EVER.

I've said it before, and I'll say it (and think it) until the day that I die, I LOVE being a mom. Yes, it has its (daily) challenges, and yes, sometimes I want to jump off a cliff, but at the end of every day, as I kiss my kiddos goodnight and tuck them in, I am at peace. I am without question, without hesitation, truly and honestly happy and complete with where I am in life.

I think know it is so important to not only TELL your children how much they mean to you, but to SHOW them so that they FEEL they are loved. I pray that I am doing a good job of that.

Just some recent examples of things that have made me so proud to be mother to my sweet little cherubs:

Paige, my strong willed, outgoing, too-mature-for-her-own-age child, recently made my jaw drop to the floor in amazement during a conversation this weekend. All summer, I have been...um...enticing...Paige & Coleton to behave for their summer sitter by promising an END-OF-SUMMER sleepover with a friend of their choice. (School starts next week!) This past week, Paige had been calling her friends to see which of them she wanted to invite. After she chose, she called up her friend and invited her. Her friend said that she could come, and that she would call her on Friday for directions and further instructions. All day Friday , Paige waited on pins & needles for her friend to call. When I asked her if her friend had called yet, Paige (who has spoken of NOTHING else all summer but this sleepover) said:

"No, she hasn't called yet. Maybe she won't call because sometimes parents change their minds. I can't really be mad at her because she can only do what her parent's allow. If she can't sleepover, it would just be nice if she would call me to let me know. Communication is very important."

Um, yeah. Like I said, my jaw was on the floor. This came from my daughter who CRIES at everything....and I do not use that word loosely....literally EVERYTHING. I can't believe how mature Paige handled the extreme upset that her friend hadn't called by the time she said she would. I was beaming with pride as I stood there and listened to my 10 year old daughter rationalizing possible scenarios as to why her friend hadn't called (all the while, I'm sure, trying to convince herself that she would still call.) As luck would have it, her friend DID end up calling (a few hours late) and the sleepover went off without a hitch...another milestone for my daughter, who in sleepovers past, has had such attitude that the "girls" are no longer on speaking terms by bed time. She continues to amaze me with her maturity and physically growth every day. Of her, I am so extremely proud.

Coleton, my sweet, yet trying, 8 year old goof-ball, never fails to make me smile. Though he more often than not these days fashions horns and a pointy red tail, he somehow manages to make them appear more angelic after a 10 minute time out. His ability to display comic relief after (or during) an offense, gets him off the hook from what ever crime he's committed, and (though I am not proud of my inability to remain firm to his punishment) I am so thrilled to know that his amazing personality will always shine through and help him, and those around him, push through trying times. He is my sensitive, sweet little boy, who still feels comfortable climbing in my lap to read a book or watch TV. Who, despite being surrounded by the cool neighborhood kids, still gives me a hug & kiss when I bring out a snack and tells me I'm cool and that he loves me. My son, who tells me 3 times after I've already kissed him goodnight, that he wants one more hug. My natural born athlete, who has difficulty reading, a short fuse leading to emotional meltdowns, and the ability to charm a room full of strangers. I love him more than words can say.

And Jadyn. Oh my sweet little girl. How did we ever live without you? There isn't a single moment in any day that I don't just look at her and think, "My gosh. I love her." I don't think that there is any pleasure on this earth greater than watching a child grow. From the moment they are born, everything they do, everything they say is simply awesome. I think from the moment she was born, I knew I would cherish her growth the most. Not because I love her more, but because I know she is my last baby. Her first's will be my last, and I knew that every "first" would be tied together with my memories of last firsts. Her first year of life was trying...she was such a difficult and colicky baby. But now...my goodness...she brings me such joy. She is such a good little girl...so smart, so funny, and such an angel. Her facial gestures are so animated...you need not ever question how she's feeling. Her memory is so sharp, a characteristic I don't remember with Paige or Coleton at this age, and she can recite conversations or sentences from books only read once even a week after they were said. Her thought process is just precious...already proving to have a "type A" personality, by asking me to plan out the day as soon as her little eyes open, or asking, "And when I wake up....?" (waiting for me to finish her sentence). She is the most well-behaved, level headed, and well-rounded 2 year old I have ever met. She very rarely throws tantrums, she listens very well to everything we say, is EXTREMELY polite & well mannered, and just plain good. I am constantly telling her what a good girl she is and how much I love her, to which she replies (after giving me one of her heart-melting smiles) very matter-of-factly "Thank you Mommy! Because big girls don't cry. Babies cry, and I'm a big girl." Well, there you have it!

Last night, like every other night (along with every other 2 1/2 year old in the world) she was stalling bed time. I was so tickled with all of her "reasons" to come out of her room which included:
  1. Coleton is not going to bed
  2. Paige is not sleeping
  3. Magenta (her beta) was hungry
  4. She needed me to draw her a cat on her chalkboard
  5. We needed to turn off our TV and go to bed (so she could sneak in our bed, I'm sure)
  6. She needed a tiny bit of water. Just a little so she wouldn't pee her bed. (she really said that!)
  7. Delylah & KC (our dogs) weren't in their bed.
  8. We needed to watch Coraline (a movie), so she put it on our dresser.
  9. Coleton is not going to bed (she liked that excuse)
  10. I have to go potty.
  11. One more story?
  12. Mommy, will you rock me a little bit? (using her thumb & pointer finger to show me a "little bit)
  13. I don't want to close my eyes
  14. I want my light on
  15. I want my light off
  16. Erase my cat (on the chalkboard that she wanted me to draw)
  17. Can I have a little bit of water?
Even though I was getting a little frustrated, I was totally laughing. Elmo said, "She's YOUR daughter." To which I replied, "I just love that little girl." I just love the way her mind works...all of the reasons she thought were relevant to WHY she couldn't sleep...I mean, drawing a cat on her chalkboard? We needed to watch Coraline? I was tickled pink.

I find comfort in knowing that even though my life is very hectic, and at times stressful and trying, I end each day tucking in the 3 most precious things in my life, forgetting about everything that has happened just to let them know that they are MY LIFE and that I love them. I give them kisses & hugs, read stories (or sometimes listen as they read to me), tuck them in, and then give more kisses. I end every night feeling calm, peaceful, and complete. I am so thankful for my little cherubs. For who they are, for what they do, and (most of all) for the most awesome gift I have ever been given, being their mother.

2 comments:

Mom said...

This brought tears to my eyes....and my heart beams with pride and joy for you when I think of you! It doesn't surprise me at all that you love being a mom. From the time you were a little girl, you loved playing house with your babies. I can remember many teaparties with you, talking so sweetly to your babies making sure they had everything they needed.
All children should have a mother like you Mel~

Anonymous said...

SOOOO SWEET I read this at work and had to fight back the tears, your kids truely are special gifts and I can't wait to experience my own!!

Heather