Thursday, April 16, 2009

Accidents happen...

Unlike it's recent predecessors, the weather yesterday was unseasonably cold. I'm not talking chilly...no, I'm talking (compared to the recent 90's we had) jacket bundling, blanket cuddling, kid snuggling COLD. It was crazy windy too!

I really wouldn't have minded so much except for the fact that we had to spend over 2 hours outside for the kid's extracurricular activities.

Both Paige & Coleton are in swimming lessons, and Paige also started tennis lessons yesterday. Now, missing a swim lesson (even though the pool is out doors) was not an option. You see, it is a progressive class, and if you miss ONE of the sessions, you will fall behind. I didn't want to be the only Mom who was too much of a wuss to endure the weather, so we went. Elmo stayed home with Jadyn. The kids were fine since the water is heated and their bodies were sheltered as long as they were submerged, however their Mommy literally sat there turning various shades of blue.

During their hour lesson, I had a lot of time to think...one of my thoughts was that Elmo should also have to endure his fair share of the frigid temperature. I mean, after all, I wouldn't want to make him feel left out! I took the kids home and informed Elmo that I was going to let him take Paige to her tennis lesson. (insert evil laugh)

After I fed the kids dinner, it occurred to me that they were WAY too hyper to accomplish anything constructive, so (because I am brilliant) I suggested we play Wii. Now, I must preface what happened next with informing you that my kids are not your typical kids. They have Playstation, Nintendo, and (most recently) Wii, but VERY RARELY play them. I mean, if they bring it out once a month, that's a lot. We literally blow off the dust before we play.




Ok, onto the story....the reason for this post....

Obviously Jadyn is too small to understand the concept of Wii, so typically we hand her a controller to another game system to keep her happy while we play. Before EVERY turn, I say "Watch out for Jadyn" because she often imitates us and gets in the way of our swing. There have been MANY close calls in the past, and I can not say that I was not dreading the day where her little body would come too close to a Wii controller and she would get hurt. Last night, it happened. As soon as Coleton took his swing, Jadyn ran in front of him. Before I even knew what had happened, Jadyn had been knocked 2 feet backwards and was on the ground screaming. I rushed to pick her up, afraid to look at her face to see what had been hit. After rocking her for a minute, I took a quick look at her and saw her eye swelling up. I told Coleton (who at this point was also crying) to get an ice pack. The goose bump swelled to the size of of a big gumball, and I did my best at keeping the ice on her face.
Needless to say, as soon as Elmo got home he was furious with the situation, until I sternly reminded him that ACCIDENTS HAPPEN and Coleton already felt bad enough. It really wasn't his fault. If you'll remember, Elmo really doesn't handle his kids being hurt very well at all, but as soon as I was able to explain the situation to him, his anger dissipated into caring concern for our baby's black eye.
By this morning, her swelling had gone down, but the bruising spread. What started out as a bump next to her eye had transformed into a bruised puffy pocket under her eye. This is what it looked like:



I am sure that the next few days will bring even more beautiful shades of the rainbow, my most favorite brown and green. For now, however, it doesn't look too bad. I'll be sure to post pictures when it looks its worst...for sympathetic purposes!
By the way...Jadyn has had 3 black eyes in her short life span. All 3 of them were caused by Coleton. Jadyn loves her big brother, and Coleton is a great one...but sometimes he forgets that his little sister is still a baby. God bless them...

2 comments:

Mom said...

awwww...my poor little Jadyn. She looks miserable! I'm sure Coleton was devastated that he hurt his little sister. Remember Heather's shiner? lol All she needs now is a T-shirt that says, "mommy did it" lol You know you'll feel like you have to explain everytime some stranger looks at here with the "look".

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

poor little girl! Although... she does look incredibly tough with her new shiner.